I was so looking forward to adult conversation, sandy beaches, dinner for 2, etc. We got to experience some of that, but I guess our trip really symbolized what marriage is all about. Friday night, shortly after we got to Hilton Head, Kent got sick...stomach bug. Poor guy, he was sick all through the night and most of the day Saturday. Now I'll have to admit that at first I was pretty upset that our only full day away was spent in the hotel room. Then there's the fact that I don't have a good sense of direction at all and had to get out to find my way to a grocery store on a strange island with traffic circles everywhere! I'm embarrassed to say, I had my pity party then found my way back to the hotel.
Kent kept trying to get me to go out and go shopping and leave him there, but I just couldn't leave him. I decided I'd rather be in a hotel room with my sick husband, than out shopping by myself without him. He was a trooper and when I asked him if he was up for a walk on the beach he decided he'd give it a shot. It was a beautiful day and after that, Kent said he was up for a car ride around the island. We were out for 3 hours or so and went back to the hotel. He slept for about 12 hours and woke up Sunday morning feeling much better, so we finally got our day out together on the island.
I was very thankful for the time we got to spend together, even though it wasn't what we both expected. Marriage is like that. Everything isn't always easy and glamourous. You've got to stick together through the tough times and anticipate the good times. Then when the good times come, they're even sweeter and you can appreciate them even more.
I love my husband and our life together. God certainly knew what He was doing when He paired us up!



2 comments:
Oh Kim! I must say I got a chuckle at your and Kent's expense! I am so sorry the weekend didn't go as you expected! So much for conversation about appropriateness! lol
Anyway, I am so thankful for you guys and the example of what a great marriage is! Congrats on 16 years, and many happy times for the next 16!
Love you so much!!
Congrats! Sorry your weekend wasn't as expected...you always do good making the best of all situations though. :) Many blessings on the next 16 years!
Post a Comment