Saturday, August 9, 2008

My Plans Aren't God's Plans (thank goodness!)

Welcome to our family blog.  3 years ago, I walked with my mom and family through her cancer journey and learned the importance of writing down "my story."  She kept a journal that documented her 8 month journey and after she died, her written words have become priceless to our family.  Now, I don't think that I have words worthy of being read online by the millions that surf the net every day, but I hope that if God has brought you to this page, for whatever reason, you'll be blessed by what He's doing in our family.

As shaken as I was when my mom died 3 years ago, I was just as shaken by an event that happened 3 weeks ago to our best friends.  I could go on and on with what Jeff and Angela Atkins and their 4 beautiful daughters mean to our family, but I'll save that for another day.  3 weeks ago, their 8 year old daughter, Claire, died unexpectedly.  I've already learned so many lessons from her death, but I'll share just this one today...my plans (the ones that I make all on my own) aren't God's plans.  Should be a lesson I've already learned, right?  I had made that week all about me and my knee surgery.  To make a long story short, my surgery had to be rescheduled (after I was already at the hospital in one huge paper gown), which later allowed me to be with Jeff and Angela at the hospital throughout the rest of the week.  

She and I have asked the question over and over since then, why do we continue to be surprised by God?  From now on, I'll try to expect His greatness more than I'm surprised by it.  

7 comments:

The Atkins Family said...

This is fantastic!! You are the best!! Love you bunches!!

abbigayle hope atkins said...

hey guys!!!love the blog!!!by the way, aunt kim,i love my wallyworld shoes!!!haha!!!
lovelovelove!!!
*abbie*

The Morgans said...

Hi Kim,
I started a blog almost a year ago, but hardly update it... Since getting Angela's blog, I found yours. I hope you guys are doing well.
Lara Morgan

Wendy H. said...

Kim,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. Isn't God amazing and gracious with "our plans". I'm so glad you got to be there for your dear friends. We are still praying for them.

Wendy

Brenda said...

Kim, this is great. I will try to keep up with you all through this. I am still trying to learn all about this. I just wrote Abbie a letter but think I somehow deleted it! UGH!!! I will keep trying. I miss you! Hope back to school is going well. We start on Thursday.
BRen

The Keels 4 said...

So, I guess I am now the only one not in the 21st century!!!!:)
We look forward to reading about your adventures. Love you guys!!!!
The Keels 4

madi'smom said...

Thanks for doing this. I've always thought it was really important to write down what was happening in our family but I've never done it. With my dad's health declining, it's really made me even more aware of how important it is to save those memories. Maybe I'll be the next to start!
Love ya,
Kisha