Monday, December 1, 2008

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...


I know those lines are from a classic, but which one is not coming to me right now.  I just know that they are very fitting for the end of our weekend in NYC.  

First with the "best of times."  On Saturday, we went back into the city on the Staten Island Ferry.  That was so much fun!  We saw the Statue of Liberty up close and personal, then walked to Ground Zero.  Even though we couldn't see anything due to construction
 of the memorial, it was very powerful to think back through the events of 9/11 while standing there.  Next we worked our way up to Macy's and got in line to see Santa.  I have never been in a store with more people in it!!!  The line for Santa moved quickly and Santaland was great to experience while we waited.  After seeing Santa and making our way out of that crowd, we
 moved into another crowd and through the streets to find some NY pizza.  We found some yummy delicious pizza and cheesecake for lunch and then went up to Times Square.  Wow...lights, people, stores, people, cars, people, everywhere.  We went to the Toys 'R Us there where there's even a ferris wheel inside!  We also visited the Hershey store.  Those of you
 who know me well know that chocolate is always at the top of the list.  We helped Abbie search for a pair of NYC Converse All-Stars then headed over to Rockefeller Center.  No, we didn't ice skate, due to time and the crowd there, but it was beautiful.  After taking the girls to the American Girl store, we began to work our way back through the city to the ferry.  

Now for the worst of times...This will be news for some of you, but I was about 7-8 weeks pregnant with Rector baby #3.  We had told family and a few close friends, but had kept it quiet for the most part because of what can happen early on.  Well, on the way back to the subway and then the ferry, I began to know that something wasn't quite right.  By the time we got out at the hotel I knew I was miscarrying.  Long story short without any details, I spent Friday night and Sat. morning dealing with that.  

Here's where God was with me all during this time:
  • Kent was amazing and more help and support than I could have ever asked for
  • Angela and Jeff were in the room next to us (keep in mind we didn't arrange to be in neighboring rooms) and were able to let the boys stay with them
  • Angela was with me for "girlfriend" support
  • The major stuff didn't happen until we got back to the hotel
  • We had Sunday as an extra day to break up the long trip home since we had planned to return on Sat.
  • God's peace was with me the whole time
I know that since all of the women I am close to have experienced miscarriage, my odds were slim that I would escape having to go through this.  Even though it was a surprise to us and it was early on in the pregnancy, I'm still grieving the loss of a life in our family.  The trip home was long (didn't get home until 2:15 a.m. due to wrecks, wrecks, everyone traveling home, and also the big pile of panties in the road near JMU in VA!) and sometimes uncomfortable, but I'm thankful that we were able to "steal" a day at home together today...just the 4 of us (and puppy Eli, who we've all missed this week). 

Anyway, today I'm clinging to the fact that God knows what we need and what we'll go through before we ever go through it.  He definitely orchestrated our path this weekend and will continue to today and tomorrow and the day after that. 

6 comments:

The Atkins Family said...

I Love You Friend!! Thanks for being you!!

Emily Parker said...

Kim, I am so sorry for you loss. I can't imagine how tough that must be for you. I can see God's hand in putting you with The Atkins as you went through such a tough time. Get some rest and take care of yourself. I miss you!
Love, Emily

beth spray said...

just wanted to say again that i am praying for you!!

Audra Harris said...

Kim,

We're holding your family in our prayers. If you need to cry, scream, act like a lunatic or eat ice cream, give me a call. I'm good for all of that!

Sandra said...

I just sent you a message via facebook to inquire about this, then it occured to me to check your blog. As one who has walked this road, I understand your loss, and am praying for you, Kent and the boys right now as you continue to cling to the Lord and trust Him with everything you cannot see and do not understand!
Hugs,
Sandra

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers (as is your family- Kent and the boys!)
Things just don't make sense sometimes - you are an awesome Mom! Take care of yourself and know that I love you!